Monday, May 14, 2012

Monday Morning Musings

My Mom has been gone for more than ten years but for some reason, I especially missed her on this Mother's Day. She was a gentle soul and a very sweet, sweet lady... me...not so much! Because we had different personalities, I'm sure there were times when she didn't quite know what to do with me. She thought I was too independent and outspoken for a girl, but at the same time, told me to get away from our little hometown and spread my wings. In some ways, I think she lived vicariously through me. Mom was a teacher until she married Dad, when at that time (during the Depression) she had to give up her job, as married women couldn't hold teaching positions. She helped my Dad in his various business ventures, raised five kids, and was a very good artist. A fond memory is when Mom would take me down to the river or out in the meadows where I would run wild, while she painted and sketched. She passed away before I published my first book, but I know she would have been very proud. As a tribute to my wonderful Mom, the crocodile in "Nile, Nile, Crocodile" wears a Green Bay Packer jersey with Bart Starr's number 15. I often teased her that I was her "love child" with Bart Starr, which always made her blush! :) When I became a Mom I wasn't prepared for the intense feelings I had for my boys. I love my husband with all my heart, but the love for my kids is a different animal. I understand, now, when parents say they would cut off their arm for their child. They are the best thing that's happened in my life. Although I was so happy to receive flowers and chocolate from my two teenaged sons, it's the words that mean the most to me. "I love you very much, Mom. Thanks for everything." I can't ask for more... Mom, I know you are up there watching and I just want to say, "I love you very much, Mom. Thanks for everything."

No comments: